Monday, September 12, 2011

My Spanish Isn't Its Best at 1 a.m.

So today I talked to my Spanish teacher and then went to talk to the academic coordinator about changing my Spanish class. I'm currently in Intermediate Intensive Spanish, with eight other students, and after a week of reviewing conjugation in the present tense and how to use articles, I finally decided I really wanted out. When I spoke with my teacher she did say my level was above the rest of the class and that I should talk to Isabel (the academic lady) and see what she said.

Isabel said my placement test grade wasn't high enough, why did I wait so long, she hadn't heard anything from my teacher, I hadn't taken Spanish in a long time. I said I took my placement test at 1 am (true), I wanted to see if the class would get harder (it didn't), I had just talked to my teacher today (I did), and when I took Spanish I got a 3 on the AP test and it just hasn't fit into my schedule in college (all true). She seemed really skeptical - probably because she doesn't understand that I actually literally couldn't take my Spanish test any time other than 1 am because of my Tisch schedule. There was no other time in my days when I could sit down somewhere quiet for an uninterrupted hour of test taking. So I took my placement test at 1 in the morning, sometime in April when I was probably in the middle of three shows and had probably been up since 7 am. Sounds ideal, right?

Tomorrow I'm going to the other Spanish class and we'll see how it goes. If I get the okay from the professor, I can switch classes. If not, I'll be stuck in the one I'm currently in. And I can do that work, just fine, I got an A on my first quiz and an A on my first composition, I just feel like I should take advantage of the opportunity to improve my Spanish in Spain. And I feel like they should let me. I'm not asking to be put in advanced anything (though I think I could handle it), I'm just trying to skip all the review that it looks like I'll be spending half the semester doing at the moment. So wish me luck!

In other news... No, there really is no other news. I'm just waiting to see how this goes, because if I switch into the other class, my schedule will be even more ridiculous. Normally when I say that I mean I have no free time. But ridiculous here means I would have no classes on Mondays or Wednesdays either, leaving me with class only on Tuesdays and Thursdays - 13 class hours a week total. (Because my intensive class meets four days a week, which is what makes it intensive, I guess, but which seems to mean we can move at a glacial pace.) Once I have my schedule fully figured out, then I can book my flights to all the places I want to travel. I'm going to visit a friend in Paris and a friend in Berlin, and I want to travel to Venice, Lisbon, Morocco, and all over Spain. Plus London. But my mom and I are hoping to go to London together when she comes to visit (as well as Barcelona), and I'll probably go again in early December when we have a long weekend and I can also - get this - go see Mötley Crüe in Birmingham. Sooo... I know what I'm doing the first week in December. Flights really are cheap if you book them well in advance. I found a roundtrip flight to Paris today for the end of October for less that 100 euros, which is less than $150. It's often a challenge to book a trip to NYC for that.

Well, time for a siesta before grocery shopping and dinner, and then a little apartment cleaning before the couch surfers arrive for tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment