Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Love the 80s

Ok so you know I love 80s music. As in I'm pretty sure I didn't listen to anything other than Mötley Crüe all summer. (Yeah, I can do umlauts now too. Keyboard exploring!) Aaanyway, my first day here, I found this:



It's TWO BLOCKS from my apartment. TWO. It probably takes me more time to get downstairs from my apartment than it takes to walk from my front door to this place. But I haven't been yet. Hopefully Nidhi (my roommate) and I are going on Tuesday night, when we're hosting two couch surfers from Salt Lake City for the night. They said in their profile that they like 80s music, so hopefully we'll have a good time.

There actually seems to be an obsession here (I'm not sure if here means Madrid, Spain, or Europe) with American music, particularly 80s rock/classic rock in general/punk. Today at El Rastro I saw several booths selling nothing but band t-shirts, most of which sported logos of groups like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Green Day, Iron Maiden, etc. I find it really weird, kind of funny, and extremely comforting. It's nice to have something familiar around in all the Spanish. There's a "rock club" just a block from this 80s bar, and in another neighborhood I found a classic rock bar. So I'll have to check out those places as well. But first, Héroe and then flamenco! My friends and I attempted to go to a flamenco place on Thursday night (because we don't have class on Fridays, what I don't have class on Fridays?) but it didn't exist. So instead we did a lot of wandering around a barrio called La Latina which was pretty cool. BUT. We need to find flamenco.

I love the 80s. El fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment