Thursday, September 29, 2011

Extremadura y Portugal Part II: This Time It's Personal

That just means there's photos. Don't get too excited. But there's a lot, so... have fun.

We begin (on Christmas Eve - no wait, that's not right) with the Roman anfiteatro in Mérida - the aphitheatre where they had Gladiator battles. It's impressive how much of this structure is left.

Original Roman walls and arches. Sure, I touched some 2000 year old stone, no big deal.

And then I died.

Seriously. This is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my life.

Just as I always imagined it would be, but better.

Proof I was here! That's my roommate on the right and from the left is Noelle, Lauren, and Steph.

I have no words. Only indistinct sounds of the sort I use to communicate with Colleen Toole.

So now I've seen two Roman aqueducts. This one obviously doesn't function anymore, but it's called the aqueducto de milagros, aqueduct of miracles, because some of the arches fell down but the columns still stood.

Thus began our tour of the old city in Cáceres - withs stairs, of course.


The rest of this is all just going to be artsy shots. Look, I like contrast!

Narrow streets!

This is the cistern under the... archeological museum, maybe? I can't remember. It was really echo-y though.

Spaniards are short. And they used to be even shorter. I'm like a normal sized person here... or maybe even a giant!
(Caption from facebook - "This door is my size. So get out.)

Church in Cáceres. Drama.

Stairs to Dumbledore's office? (Castle in Cáceres)

View from the tower of the castle.

Nighttime in Plaza Mayor of Cáceres

Look Dad, rocks! (On the way to Portugal)

Coffee and the best coffee cake pastry thing I've ever eaten in my life - on a terrace in Castelo de Vide, Portugal, with Lauren and Steph (in front).

Just, you know, chillin at the coffee place. Perri, me, Steph, and Lauren. (There are only l0 or 15 guys in our program of 80 people, and only 6 were on this trip. So. Female friends?)

Plaza in Castelo de Vide

Commence pictures of buildings at interesting angles.

Four-nail Christ in the church, pre-Council of Trent.

Little street, typical lady peering in a door.

Cat eyes.

On top of a wall somewhere in Castelo de Vide.

Pretty!

Interesting angle! Lighting! Castles!

With Emily atop the tower of some castle. That's real life behind us, not a painting.

You can see the church in the background... (Atop the castle)

Other castle? Some kind of ruins, I don't know.

Typical Europe.

Artsy.

Yet another castle, in Marvâo, Portugal.

More Iberian landscape.

Lots of things to climb.

Oh look, my hotel room!


Fanciest bathroom with the best shower ever.

Even the door was pretty.

Gran Teatro of Cáceres - walked past this on my way to the medieval festival.

Modern art at the random art museum we went to in middle of nowhere, Spain.

Outside the museum that was once a wool factory. They used to wash the wool in this lake.

Because don't all wool factories have turrets?

Modern art. Yep, that's about right.

Yoko Ono made this.

ONE MORE CASTLE! In Oropesa, Spain

Angles again

Plaza Mayore in Oropesa

And that's the highlights! All pictures are on facebook. I will try to get them all uploaded to shutterfly or something though; it just takes foreverrr. Anyway, it's the weekend and I think I'm going to a theatre tonight to see something because my roommate is traveling for the weekend, so more later!

Oh p.s. - I booked my flights to Paris, London, and Berlin this week! So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment