Friday, November 4, 2011

Unnamed Poems for Berlin

Graffiti city between train tracks
Shivers through Berlin.
One cannot walk absentmindedly
In a city that still aches of division.
History's horror now tourist traps
I had my passport stamped seven times today
But I can walk through walls now
I was born with the birth of reunification.
Marks left by those who could never leave
Remain still, between shopping malls
And train stations.
Safe train stations.
I feel so old but this city feels so young
We are the same age.
Narrow escapes across wide danger
What could they win with death strips?
I stand unsure on the edge of East and West.
The scar still fresh on this city reunited
How do people live in the shadow of this history?
Three days and I already feel oppressed
21 year old mirror of history and horros
We look each other in the eye
And grow older.
--10.30.11

Autumn is beautiful in Berlin
The ground becomes softer
Covered in golden leaves
But the city feels shrouded in death
Each moment sitting on a park bench
Another leaf falls.

I sit in the oldest Jewish cemetery in Berlin
The Nazis even ruined the dead
No one is allowed memories.
Even the old here is new, replicas
A false history to cover up a little of the real
Or to always remember
What was.

Berlin is inspiring,
I write.
But living here feels like dying
Crushed under the weight of history.
--10.31.11

The first day after the fall of the wall was November 10, 1989. Exactly 6 months before I was born.
The official reunification of Germany was October 3, 1990. Five months after I was born.
Berlin Portrait 11.1.11
(Also look at how much hair I have.)


No comments:

Post a Comment