Monday, December 12, 2011

Things I Miss About America

Just had my penultimate English lesson with my Spanish family and need to remind myself why I want to go home, because I'm really going to miss them. Thus I give you:

THINGS I MISS ABOUT AMERICA (Besides, obviously, my family)
Dryers
Dishwashers
English
A cellphone with a qwerty keyboard
Cuddling with my dog
Bagels. With cream cheese, egg and cheese, whatever.
David's breakfast cart on the corner where I buy said bagels.
Mom's pancakes and french toast
Mom's chili
Watching Modern Family with my dad
Playing video games with my brother
My big, comfy bed
Communicating with my best friend in sounds rather than words
Ridiculous late night antics with Joe/Harrison/Vince/Amy/Hollis/Grace in Laf
Bizarre existential/artistic/theological/philosophical (that was hard to spell) discussions with theatre kids
Everything about Playwrights Horizons Theatre School
The Brooklyn Bridge
The Fire Cat Gang etc.
American Christmas music
NoHo at Chrismas
My books
$1 slice pizza from 2 Bros/any pizza in New York
Falafel
The Art Institute of Chicago
Theatre in English, especially downtown NYC theatre and Playwrights shows
MAKING THEATRE MAKING THEATRE MAKING THEATRE (acting, lighting, and maybe even directing a little bit)
The Chicago skyline
UU churches, especially First UU Brooklyn and my kids that I teach
Fuerza Bruta!!!
Coffee dates with Bob
Navigating without thinking about it
Stores like Target (who would have guessed?)
Prices being in dollars

Okay so I can't wait to get home and see my family and my dog and sleep in my bed and eat food and have real breakfast and understand all the words people say and not have to convert prices in my head. And I can't wait to finally get back to New York and Playwrights and see my friends and make theatre and never sleep and sometimes cry and sometimes be really happy and in any case know I'm doing what I love.

5 days, America. 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment