Tuesday, October 18, 2011

¡Fuerza Bruta!

I will finish posting about Mallorca someday, I promise. Maybe tonight actually, because I have no homework. And I want to get it done before I go to Paris this weekend. But. More importantly.

I WENT TO FUERZA BRUTA TONIGHT AND I AM SO HAPPY!!! How to explain.

So there's that. I work at Fuerza Bruta in New York. It's a show that was created by an Argentinian company ("fuerza bruta" means brute force/strength) and it's been running in Union Square for years. I've been working there since last October, along with about half a dozen other Playwrights kids and some other cool people, including some Argentinian crew members. (Like my friend Gonzo who now likes every comment I make in Spanish on facebook.) I've lost count of how many times I've seen the show at this point, and I'm not tired of it yet. I'm really lucky to have such a fun job. Oh - to clarify - I'm not a performer in the show. I'm just a lowly usher who shoves people out of the way of moving set pieces, moves set pieces, pulls ropes and curtains, and folds hundreds of cardboard boxes.

Tonight was only the second time I've actually seen the show from a spectator standpoint - and the first time I had just been hired to work, so I was still watching it with a critical eye. It was so weird to be there without anything to do, and without all my usual PHTS (or pseudo-PHTS) coworkers. This was also the first time I came home without a mohawk full of confetti - my hair's too long! Tonight I went with my friend Yasmín and got to be one of those people all us ushers are always judging (at least a little). It was a little disorienting because I noticed every little thing that was different, but the familiar music fell right back into my body and I now know that I still remember exactly what my track (at least the first one I learned) does throughout the whole show. On top of it all, the first performer you see in the show, called Corridor, the guy running on the treadmill, was an actor from our New York cast, so I felt even more at home.

It was a party, I danced, I felt like I had escaped to New York for an hour. I was and still am so happy. Yasmín had never been before and had a really great time. I told her she's got to come in NYC, where it's (in my opinion) even better. And now I'm home, changed into dry clothes, out of my wet, confetti-covered ones. So worth the money I spent on it - the only time I've paid to see it. And if I divide tonight's ticket price over all the times I've "seen" it, it's still less than a dollar each time, and normally I get paid to be there.

I am one lucky lady. (Oh, AND I need to post about my amazing new English "teaching" job.) I am so grateful for all the blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment