Friday, November 20, 2015

Berlindon 2015 (Part IV - All Was Well)

I had a day and a half left of my trip when we got back to London from Berlin. I had no more time for theatre, between my 5:30 flight on Sunday and my plans for Saturday were dominated by a 5:00 appointment at the Harry Potter studio tour. Tickets had been sold out when I tried to book them a couple weeks before I left, but somehow became available after I got to London. I specifically wanted to go on Saturday, because it was the second day of the Hogwarts in the snow display, which meant I would get to see the Great Hall decorated for Christmas. (This is a big deal, if you're a Harry Potter fan.)

So I spent Saturday morning unpacking from Berlin and repacking my suitcase, and then headed off around 3:00 to make the journey to Watford Junction where I would get the shuttle bus to Leavesden Studios.

Even though I had been to the tour once before, three and a half years ago when it was new, I was still ridiculously excited. The estimated three and a half hour tour took me over six hours last time, and I knew this time I would only have four and a half before I would have to catch the last shuttle back to the train. I wasted no time once I got inside the lobby, picking up my digital guide and joining the queue to enter. In the lobby was a huge Christmas tree, the first sign of what was to come. 

In the pre-theatre waiting room, a guide was asking a group of about a hundred people Harry Potter trivia questions. I was one of the last people allowed in to that group, so I didn't hear the first questions, but I was the only person who knew that Aragog (the big spider in the Forbidden Forest) is actually an acromantula. So I don't need to worry about my title of biggest Harry Potter nerd anytime soon. The preshow video began, with good old David Heyman telling us how much he came to love the books, making me cry already. We then headed into the actual theatre for the film with Dan, Emma, and Rupert talking about their lives on set to introduce us to the tour.

And then, just as before, the screen lifted, and the Great Hall doors were there, now with Christmas wreaths on them. Some people celebrating birthdays pushed open the doors, and the Great Hall was revealed, full of giant Christmas trees being circled by little faeries, a fire in the hearth, and Christmas crackers on every place setting. One of the big differences with the tour now, compared to three years ago, is that they have a lot more staff inside the stages, explaining what things are, how they work, and showing off specific props. In the Great Hall, they demonstrated how they made flaming puddings, and showed off the light/mist effect that made the fire look so real.



Throughout the rest of my tour I listened to my digital guide - disappointed to find that the intimate tour narrated by Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) had been replaced by a generic woman giving basic behind the scenes information. It was still interesting, with lots of extra videos of interviews with production staff and designers, but I missed the personal insights Tom had brought to the tour. A few sets had changed in the years since my last visit, but mostly it was just nice to be back among so may places where I felt strangely at home. One of my favorite things this time around was seeing inside the potions textbook - a staff member was showing it off, rifling through the pages to show that the entire book was authentically designed for the film with tons of original drawings and recipes for potions. The dedication of the art and graphics departments on these films never ceases to amaze me.

The biggest change was a huge expansion that had been made to accomodate the original Hogwarts Express, a real steam engine used in the films. So there's a whole Platform 9 3/4 set up now, and you can actually enter the train and see the compartments staged to look like scenes from the films. This was where I got my iconic trolley-in-the-wall shot, rather than dealing with the chaos at the actual Kings Cross station.




After the train it was out onto the backlot to see the vehicles, the iconic Hogwarts bridge, Privet Drive, and another new feature - the Potter's cottage from Godric's Hollow. (Concerned about time, I skipped the line for butterbeer at the backlot cafe, figuring the alcoholic version I make at home is better anyway.)

Back inside the other soundstage was the creature shop and a lot of designs from the production department - drafts and models of sets, all leading up to the big finale, the scale model of the entire Hogwarts grounds, gracefully covered in snow for the holidays. It was just as majestic as I remembered. I took pictures from every angle - by the time I had reached this point before, my camera battery had died so I only had a few poor-quality shots taken on my iPad.



Beyond Hogwarts is a final room filled with wands, each hand labeled with the names of every person who worked on the films. This time around there was a staff person to help point out favorite actors and JK Rowling herself. And, in the middle, a quote I will love forever, "The stories we love never truly leave us. Whether you return by page or by screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."

Outside in the gift shop, I picked up a few things requested by friends. The only thing I bought myself, however, was a replacement for a rocks glass I had bought at Harry Potter world in Orlando in May of last year that had since broken. I have reached a point where I pretty much own all the Harry Potter stuff I want that I can afford - the only other thing I wanted was yet another box set of the books (WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING THIS TO ME) but I had neither the money nor the space in my suitcase for that.

I was in line to check out when the announcement was made that the last shuttle would be leaving in ten minutes, and stood anxiously in line and then at the checkout counter before running out the door to the bus as it drove up. (There was a frantic moment in which I was afraid it was driving away and I would be stranded at the studio forever. I mean, there are worse things in the world, but still.)



Back at the apartment I had a late dinner with Kerry, who had been at home doing work for her college course. Sunday we ate together once more, I picked up a few gifts for my nanny kids, and then it was time to say goodbye and head to the airport for the flight home.

The whole trip was really what I wanted it to be - inspiring and informative. I was able to do a lot of research and gain a lot of ideas for how to move forward as a theatre artist, exactly what I needed at this point in time. I consider myself incredibly lucky to have been able to take this trip, and proud that I was able to finance it through savings. I started saving money at the beginning of the year - a dollar the first week, two dollars the second weeek, so that I was saving over forty dollars a week by Novermber, and I was able to deposit or exchange over $1000 at the bank before my trip - enough to pay for my flight and leave me spending money. I'm still working hard now to make up for taking a ten day vacation, but buying a plane ticket to Europe less than a month in advance is not something everyone could do. I did. And all was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment